Tuesday, April 27, 2010

That's right, I said bossest

You know, I'm gonna go on record and say that this group of people could quite conceivably come together to create one of the bossest Thanksgiving Day tables of all time. (This is, of course, operating on the assumption that Wikipedia would never lie to me about the interconnectedness of famous people.) So, without further ado:



Invitee #1: Beck, a musician-poet who transcends genres even as he re-invents them. Conveniently married to --



Invitee #2: Marissa Ribisi, best known to me as the red-headed girl from Dazed and Confused that gets Matthew McConaughey's attention.  She is otherwise known as the twin sister of --



Invitee #3: Giovanni Ribisi, a guy who is thisclose to being Leonardo DiCaprio. Seriously -- who else on the planet can put on their resume that they survived teen idol status on a late-80's/early 90's sitcom, only to go on to star in a James Cameron blockbuster? Do My Two Dads and Avatar ring a bell? Then, let's say he decides to get together with a guy he's known at least since high school --



Invitee #4: Ethan Suplee, the genius who portrays one of the most lovable idiots in TV history, Randy Hickey. Watch this YouTube clip (starting at about the 1 minute mark), and tell me you couldn't find something to talk about with this guy. (I also marvel that he makes me want to watch Without a Paddle.) He is married to --



Invitee #5: Brandy Lewis. Of her I know nothing, except that she is married to Ethan Suplee, and (more surprisingly) is the sister of --



Invitee #6: Juliette Lewis, who has always struck me as just plain old batshit insane. You know, in an intriguingly attractive sorta way, but still, bat-guts nuts. I remember talking about her when I was in university -- I didn't get the feeling she was a particularly versatile actress, but man, her agent was the hardest-workin' man in show business. Our compare and contrast example was Lara Flynn Boyle -- she managed to parlay her role on the cult show Twin Peaks into the '93/'94 murderer's row of The Temp, Threesome and Baby's Day Out (with the slight mitigation of a bit part in Wayne's World and the apparently underappreciated Red Rock West). Ms. Lewis' agent, on the other hand, turned roles on such immortal TV fare as I Married Dora and A Family for Joe into a goldmine. There's too much to keep in paragraph format, I gotta go to plaid and make a list here:
  • Cape Fear (1991)
  • Husbands and Wives (1992)
  • That Night (1992)
  • Kalifornia (1993)
  • Romeo Is Bleeding (1993)
  • What's Eating Gilbert Grape
  • Natural Born Killers (1994)
  • Mixed Nuts (1994)
  • The Basketball Diaries (1995)
  • Strange Days (1995)
  • From Dusk Till Dawn (1996)  
 So, before her 25th birthday, she'd worked with Martin Scorcese, Woody Allen, Lasse Hallstrom, Oliver Stone, Nora Ephron, Kathryn Bigelow, and Quentin Tarantino/Robert Rodriguez. As of last count, that's 20 Best Director Academy Award nominations (with 5 wins) and 28 Best Screenplay Oscar Nominations (good for 4 gold statues). That is one hell of a star-studded run. I recommend her agent to anyone.

So yeah. To get back to my original point, if ever I tried to come up with a hypothetical who-would-you-invite-to-a-celebrity-fantasy-dinner-party guest list, this group of six will gain a substantial amount of bonus points on sheer plausibility.

No comments: